This Tip for Tuesday is short and sweet, so pay close attention: CROSS TRAIN.
It took me 3 marathons and half a dozen half marathons to realize that cross training = speed. I added 2-3 days of cross training to my marathon training plan and dropped 23 minutes off my PR.
Check out my latest Instagram post to see a mashup of my favorite cross training workouts in Charlotte. If you don’t have Instagram (Mom), don’t worry. I’ve listed them below.
Top Favorite Cross Training Activities in Charlotte:
- Any class at Jamie Scott Fitness (Includes weight training, battle ropes, spin, yoga, circuit training and so much more)
- Hilliard Studio Method (Hardest barre + pilates class in existence. This mother-daughter duo and their team will kick your butt with a smile on their faces. You can stream at home here.)
- West Kept Secret (My girl, Marissa West, is a fireball of a personal trainer. She shows off her best arm, leg and core moves every Thursday for the next month @ Fit Atelier on East Blvd.)
- Kadi Fit/BlocClt (Kadi brings all the best dance moves to the cross training scene. She is opening Bloc Clt in Dilworth in April. I have so much fun in her classes, I don’t even feel like I’m working out.)
- My den (I still love to make up my own workouts, roll out the yoga mat, turn up the tunes and bust out a quick 30 min sweat session in my den w/ Cleo.)
Why You Should Cross Train:
- It makes you stronger which = a better runner.
- It strengthens muscles in your body that you just can’t get with a pair of running shoes hitting pavement every day.
- It’s super fun! I love switching up my exercises each day and look forward to a break from running, believe it or not.
Let’s stop talking about this and just do it. Get out there and cross train, people! You will love it. And if you’re a runner, you’ll love the results!